Peas are high in fiber, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and many micronutrients.
They are inexpensive, readily available, and easy to prepare. This soup is hearty and delicious- perfect in the fall/ winter with crusty bread and butter. There are also many things you could add to experiment with the flavor and nutrition, such as celery, carrots, spinach, garbanzo beans, or cauliflower. Enjoy!!
4 1/2 cups frozen peas
4 cups vegetable stock
2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
2 medium onions, chopped
1 leek, trimmed, washed, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley OR 1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
1/3 cup sour cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
How to prepare:
1. In a large saucepan heat the oil, then add the leek, onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes and the peas. Stir well, and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the vegetable broth and the herbs. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Let soup cool for 10 minutes.
5. Blend the soup until smooth with a blender or immersion blender.
6. Stir in sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Top with a dollop of sour cream.
Optional: Turkey bacon (ideally nitrite and antibiotic free), crumbled on top- that’s my own delicious addition! 🙂
*From the cookbook Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking, by Mary McCartney